I will never forget this road in Bangkok.
On my quest to find a used book bookshop, I found 2 more books shops that really pumped my adrenalin on high! Not only do they have books on sale, but their books are very affordable. Well, sell used books but they are still cheaper compared to other used books store.
|13 books in total. Not bad for 1 day book shop hopping, right?|
1. ASIA BOOKS
This was the first book shop that I found while walking down Sukhumvit road. They have a wide selection of English books. When I entered the store, the cashier was telling another foreigner that they have book sale upstairs. So straight I went to the second floor and this is what I found.
|Buy 1 get 1 free for as low as 99 Baht unused books.|
- The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom - 299 Baht. Although not part of the buy 1 get 1 free, it's still on sale. I got it for 299 Baht instead of 525 Baht. A real treat for me because Mitch Albom is one of my fave authors and the book is brand new and no damage at all.
- How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard - 99 Baht. This would be my second book about books or about reading. It got my interest and I thought it would be a great read.
- You'll Never Walk Alone by Debbie Singh - 99 Baht. A true story about the author's haunting experience when her brother was sentence to ten years in Klong Prem prison know as the notorious "Bangkok Hilton." I love true stories so this one is on my shelf.
2. SUN BOOK STORE Another book store I found on my way to finding another book store.They sell and exchange English and Japanese books and magazines. I couldn't believe my eyes upon seeing the long and tall shelves teeming with English books of very cheap prices!
|Look at all these very cheap and still of good quality books!|
- Shelter in the Storm by E.G. White - 40 baht. Was surprised to see this book here! E.G. White, (not to be confused with E.B. White) is my all-time favorite author. This book is actually a compilation of two of her books, which are also my top-favorites. Since I've read those books already I plan to give this book to a friend.
- Can You Eat, Shoot & Leave? by Clare Dignall - 100 Baht instead of 265 Baht. I'm not sure how this book is related to "Eat, Shoots & Leaves" which is another book that I wanted to have but couldn't easily find here in Thailand.
- The Light in the Window by June Goulding - 40 Baht. A moving and inspirational memoir written from inside the walls of a Catholic home for unmarried mothers in 1950s Ireland. I just have the feeling that I would love this book.
- The Shack by William P. Young - 140 Baht instead of 450 Baht. Another treat for me because I've been wanting to have this book for a long time. I borrowed it before in a library in South Korea but my friend ended up reading it instead. Not I finally have my own copy and would never exchange it with something else. ^^
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - 100 Baht instead of 400+baht. The very first time I read the review of this book, when it wasn't a motion picture yet, I already knew in my heart that I want this book. Not exactly the original book cover, but still the same story.
- One Hundred Years in Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 150 baht instead of 497 Baht. One of the best-selling books of all time and I have yet to read it (Shame! I know!) Couldn't read it without a copy, so now is my chance to redeem myself.
3. DASA BOOK CAFE. This is actually the only book store I had in mind while walking up and down Sukhumvit road. Three-story shop of mostly English books and some non-English books are quite overwhelming. Not a cheap as the Sun Book Store, but still relatively cheap.
My budget is running low now so I only got myself 4 books.
- Save Me from Myself. The story of Brian "HEAD" Welch- former lead guitarist of Korn.- 190 Baht. This book is about the incredible story of a controversial rock star, his secret addiction to methamphetamine, and his miraculous salvation through Jesus Christ.The book caught my attention and I know I won't be able to put this book down until it's finished.
- The Primal Teen by Barbara Strauch - 29 Baht. This book talk about what new discoveries about the teenage brain tell us about kids. Hmm...I wonder so I bought the book.
- I Moved Your Cheese by Darrel Bristow-Bovey - 19 Baht instead of 80 Baht. Probably the answer to the book, "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Dr. Spencer Johnson M.D. haha! I'm just guessing ^^ It says that the book is a self-help book for people who want to take no steps at all. a self-help book for people lying on the sofa. I have a feeling that this would be a fun read. ^^
- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - 49 Baht. Again, one good book that I failed to read long time ago. Now, no one can stop me from reading or watching the movie. ^^