Thursday, February 10, 2011

Marley the Dog Book Review

  • Reading level: Ages 9-12
  • Paperback: 196 pages
  • Publisher: Collins; a special adaption for youth edition (May 1, 2007)
  • Language: English
  • Genre: Non-fiction
  • Days spent reading: 2 days
From Booklist

Acquired by Grogan and his wife in Florida when he was a puppy, Marley, an oversize, energetic, and supremely loving yellow Lab, was expelled from his first obedience school but successfully auditioned for a part in a movie. He bolted his food, chewed everything in sight, and went berserk in thunderstorms. After moving to Pennsylvania with the growing Grogan family, he discovered the joy of snow, tobogganing down the hill on his master's stomach. Although never really well-behaved, Marley made his home in their hearts for 13 years. Grogan has trimmed down his best-selling account, Marley and Me (2005), for younger readers, leaving out considerable detail about the family but keeping all the deeds and misdeeds that made Marley so entertaining. The dog's poignant last days are detailed as well. 

This has been the second incident that a dog made me cry! Hachiko:The Story of a Dog movie being the first one, and now, Marley.

While making my progress in the middle of the book, I decided to continue reading it the next day. But, when I got to the chapter that tells about Marley's last days, I just couldn't put the book down, that I read it even until 1:35 in the morning! My tears just won't stop flowing. I felt Marley's pain, not of his owner. I just can imagine how it feels when you know that you are dying soon and the idea of leaving behind your love ones. 

My heart was crushed when I'm reading how Marley, even in pain, struggled to be near his master. I'm glad that he died peacefully. Was happy to know that a similar dog lives near the family.:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...