Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Help

  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (February 10, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0399155341
  • ISBN-13: 978-0399155345
  • Genre: Fiction
  • Days spent reading: 9
Synopsis

The Help is about a young white woman in the early 1960s in Mississippi who becomes interested in the plight of the black ladies' maids that every family has working for them. She writes their stories about mistreatment, abuse and heartbreaks of working in white families' homes, all just before the Civil Rights revolution. 

I've been reading serious stuff  this past few days. So, I opted to read something light this time. The first novel I've read for this year. I like the cover. Borrowed from a friend who said that she couldn't put the book down. Well, I've been wanting to read this so I put aside other books on queue to give way for this one. 

Sure enough, I liked the story and the characters. It was kinda funny at first, because I was reading the words in such a way like I'm talking the way they do.You know how Southerners speak, right? It took me a while to read normally. 

All the way to the last pages, I just couldn't put the book down. I want to know what would happen next. Especially to Minny, how I enjoyed her experiences and laugh at her sass-mouthing. I admire Aibeleen's dealings with things and people. I could almost see myself in Skeeter. We both want to find our place in this world. While reading about the disastrous first date of Skeeter and Stuart, I could already tell that that is not their last meeting. Their love story is quite predictable. Sad to say, but I think Stuart needs to be a more principled man.


The ending left me to think what would happen. I got some happy endings, though. How I wish they would make this into a movie. I would love to watch it!

I found out that this book has another cover design



3 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and loved it! I like Southern setting books. btw, there is a movie coming out in Aug. of this year based on this book. Definitely looking forward to it!

    Jinky is Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. really? now that's something to look forward to and be excited about!!! tnx, Jinky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. I thought Minnie was hilarious too. It was fun to see Skeeter's dating moments, as bad as they were.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...