Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book·worm

Book.worm [n]

: a person unusually devoted to reading and study

: a person who prefers reading to just about any other activity

I never liked reading when I was young. In fact, I was the worst reader in my class in first grade. My first encounter with books started when my eldest brother asked me to read in advance my textbooks. Compelling me that it would be of great benefit to know the lessons ahead of time before the subject is discussed in the class. My brother has influenced me greatly in this area of my academic literacy. He would tell me to read the book from cover to cover. Never start reading in the middle of the book and to read only with eyes and mouth closed (no finger-tracing the words).

I started reading any reading materials available. Raised in an environment of grown-ups with considerable generation gap, I ended up reading newspapers and Reader’s Digest, instead. Other than my textbooks in schools, I never had books suitable for my age and comprehension level.

Sure enough, my level of comprehension increased for about a hair-width. That’s progress for me. As aforementioned, I was a slow learner and reader in first grade. My Homeroom teacher then, gave a dismaying prophecy that I would never learn to read well and pass my English subject with flying colors.

As I mentioned previously, only newspapers and Reader’s Digest were available for me to read. I would always try to answer the Vocabulary Power section of the Reader’s DigestBilly Goats, The Gingerbread Man, The Princess and the Pea, Midas Golden Touch, The Emperor’s New Clothes… and all other tall and fairy tales. I remembered drawing some of the characters in these books. and the Cartoon section of the newspapers. The first children’s book that I’ve read is a collection of famous children’s stories like Three Billy Goats, The Princess and the Pea, and Midas Golden Touch


As I was growing up, I was able to save my money to buy myself a book. During my college years, a special person in my life gave me lots…and I mean lots of books. I would say that that is the start of my love affair with books. From that moment a desire to have and read books aflamed in my heart. Every payday, I would allot a certain amount intended only to buy a book. I envisioned to have my own personal library. My dream reached its fulfillment just before my college graduation. Most of my books were just given to me as gift. That’s why I treasure them so much. I even told my family that if ever our house would be caught in fire, I would save my books first before anything else.:-)


My poor ability to evaluate a book if it’s good or not limits and hinders me when I’m buying or simply choosing from a library. Unless someone more qualified recommends a good book to me. I have friends who would recommend books worth reading. Sometimes I would read reviews about certain books before buying them. Most of the times I would ask my friends who are aslo bookworms for recommendations and we would exchange books.


My brother introduced me to Max Lucado's book, "He Still Moves Stones." I rely on my brother's recommendations. I bought several more of Max Lucado's books and added them to my personal library later on when I was able to buy books for myself.
   
Some of the books recommended by my friends.

 Although I love to read, I don’t read just any book. I prefer to read books that would strengthen my mind and character and that would help make me a better person. I’ve put side novels or fictions for the peril it may cause me. As the saying goes, “Garbage in, garbage out.” This statement from my favorite author change the way I choose books to read:

The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page. It creates an unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, weans the soul from prayer, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise. 


These books have greatly influence my character and personality development.

Books have changed my life forever. It helped me a lot during the times when I have no one to answer my questions about life, depressed or simply when I was bored or have no one to talk to. It helped me a lot in my studies. It feels good to have something to say in group discussions or in any conversation because you’re not totally clueless about what they’re talking about.

During my Elementary graduation, I purposely walked in front of my first grade homeroom teacher, showing her my trophy in English. She looked at me and then smiled. I would like to think that she’s proud of me. I didn’t hold any grudge against her. Her words were the very force that motivated and encouraged me to improve my learning competence. My desire to learn started when I first learn to read books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...