Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Three Cups of Tea Book Review

Most of the books that I’ve read and going to read were based on recommendations and book reviews made by other book lovers or friends. Before buying or reading a book, I would search for reviews to give me ideas as to what kind of book it is.. In that way, I wouldn’t be wasting so much time, effort and money on books not worth my time I’ve read a lot of books, but never write reviews about them. In fact, this is my first time I’m going to write about a book. I don’t even know how and what to write about them. But, I really want to share what I think about the books I’m reading. 
How I wish I’m gifted in this area so I could tell others the great reads I got. So here, you’ll be reading what I think about the book and what I’ve learned from them. If I like the book…I will read it! I’m not really critical about how it is written or how does it make me feel or if the characters are flawed or what. I focus more on what lessons or inspirations I could learn from them. You’ll never know what treasure or surprises written in its pages unless you read it yourself. The experience of other readers maybe different from what you’ll experience.

They say that practice makes perfect. So here goes the first one…

Title: Three Cups of Tea, One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time
Author: Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Genre: Non-fiction
Pages: 368
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication date: 2006, 2007, 2008
ISBN: 0-670-03482-7 (hc.); 0978-0-14-303825-2 (pbk.)
Followed by: Stones into Schools
Days spent reading: 5 days

The Look: I like the cover design. The simplicity and artistry, even the title is appropriate for the story.
Whats Inside:
“Here (in Pakistan and Afghanistan), we drink three cups of tea to do business; the first you are a stranger, the second you become a friend, and the third, you join our family, and for our family we are prepared to do anything – even die.” – Haji Ali, Korphe Village Chief, Karakoram Mountains, Pakistan.
Have you ever made a mistake in your life but in the end it turned out to be blessings in disguise? Greg Mortenson may have failed to summit the world’s second highest peak, K2, but he reached another summit higher than the world’s highest peak.
The kindness of the villagers who helped him find his way back when he got lost, impressed his heart so much that he promised to come back to build a school. This book is about how he fulfilled that promised against all odds.
  • What drew me into this book is the idea of a humanitarian effort of one man building schools in a foreign land. It tells of the sacrifices and how Greg lived his life in a very simple manner just to save his money to buy materials for the construction of a school in Korphe Village, the first of the 55 schools built later on.
  • At first, I thought I’m gonna be reading long, boring narratives about another person’s life, I was tempted to quit. I’m glad that I didn’t stop reading, else, I would have missed and never know how remarkable the efforts Greg have done for the people in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
  • I like how simple the story is told. It’s so simple that even kids can understand it. There’s no unnecessary articulation, all parts are essential to the whole story.
  • You’ll be able to picture the scenes in your mind and feel the intensity, anticipation and happiness of every character. The author made it possible to show and let us feel the culture and the innermost longings of each individual in the story. This book gives us insights on the cultures of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Shedding lights on some misconceptions the world has about Muslims. Narrating the simplicity and hardships of their lives in a world where nobody seems to care.
  • Another thing I like about the book is how each chapter is titled. Each one is like a one-liner phrase that catches the reader’s mind and urges you to keep on reading. I find myself eager to know what gonna happen next.
Overall, I think the book and the author is remarkable. It inspires and awakens a desire in its readers to reach out to the less fortunate and realize that no matter how small our contribution may seem, are still essential to the uplifting of humanity. We may not be capable of helping the needy in Pakistan and Afghanistan financially, but at least our minds will be open and be less prejudice to them. Through our prayers and our own acts of kindness will lessen the burden in the hearts of the needy people. We’ll realize that in spite of our poverty, there’ll always be someone who is less fortunate than us. We just have to value and be thankful of what we have every day.

This book is definitely worth reading. I would recommend it to any book clubs or person who wants to read something inspiring. Go get a copy for yourself!:-)

Visit the Three Cups of Tea website to learn more about the book and the author.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...