Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why I Try to Avoid Novels

I learned in an early age how books shape and influence our mind. Thus, I’m very careful in choosing what I read. I try, as best I could, to refrain from reading books that offer no usefulness in practical life. I stay away from books that only give me temporary excitement or sentimentalism. Time is so precious to be wasted on these kind of readings. Why? Here’s why…
Many youth are eager for books. They desire to read everything that they can obtain. Let them take heed what they read as well as what they hear.
The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page. It creates an unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, weans the soul from prayer, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise.
My dear young friends, question your own experience as to the influence of exciting stories. Can you, after such reading, open the Bible and read with interest the words of life? Do you not find the Book of God uninteresting? The charm of that love story is upon the mind, destroying its healthy tone, and making it impossible for you to fix the attention upon the important, solemn truths that concern your eternal welfare.
Resolutely discard all trashy reading. It will not strengthen your spirituality, but will introduce into the mind sentiments that pervert the imagination, causing you to think less of Jesus and to dwell less upon His precious lessons. Keep the mind free from everything that would lead it in a wrong direction. Do not encumber it with trashy stories, which impart no strength to the mental powers. The thoughts are of the same character as the food provided for the mind. -Messages to Young People
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. – Philippians 4:8, KJV
It doesn't mean, though, that I don’t read non-religious books. I’m just careful in choosing what to read to make sure the time I spent reading an entire book is all worth it. Happy Reading!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...