Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Last Buy for 2010

It’s been a couple of weeks now that I've been away from the blogosphere. I got busy preparing for our Pinas x’mas vacation. Now that I’m back, I opted to post something about the books I got as Christmas present for myself. hehehe!

There’s been a lot of changes in Olongapo since last year. Some good things and places didn't change though, and I’m so glad! There’s this one big grocery store that sells used books where I've bought some really good books a couple of years ago. I was so happy that they still sell books when I came to visit. Most of the books are fiction though, so I only got myself 3 books for a really cheap prize.

 
Revolution in World Missions by K.P. Yohannan, Dead Reckoning by Michael Baden, M.D. and Marion Roach, and The Amistad Slave Revolt and American Abolition by Karen Zeinert.

The National Bookstore in the city mall of Olongapo is no longer there. Instead, you can see the construction for SM Olongapo branch. I had to go inside SBMA to see the other NBS branch near the Royal Duty Free Port. The bookstore is a bit smaller and has fewer books to choose from than the one outside before. What made me hang around for quite a while, is the two tables of bargain books. The prices ranged for as low as P20 up to P500+. Due to budget constrain, I only got myself 2 books that really caught my fancy.Things I’ve Been Silent About by Azar Nafisi and Freedom By Any Means by Betty Deramus.

Here’s the steal…I got these hardbound for only P99 each! I wanted to buy more books and to take advantage of book sales, but appointments with the dentist made it impossible. But still, I’m happy for the loot. Add to that the books on my TBR list that I brought to Korea, hoping to read them all this year.


I also bought these Ice Breakers for our small group. We gather together to have Bible study and for other social activities. These are stacks of cards with questions or instructions written on it. Each person will have to draw one card and answer or try to do what’s written on it. It a  nice way to get to know each other especially for new friends.




§

I would like to share this inspiring video about how reading inspires people.


2 comments:

  1. I love Azar Nafisi. I've read her Reading Lolita in Tehran and was absolutely riveted. My copy is riddled with earmarks - in the hopes that I can get to review it someday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! tnx for dropping by. I also like to read "Reading Lolita in Tehran." My desire to read the books started after my encounter with "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson....:-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...