Thursday, January 20, 2011

These Strange Ashes Book Review


  • Paperback: 144 pages
  • Publisher: Harpercollins (January 1985)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0060622296
  • ISBN-13: 978-0060622299

From Publishers Weekly

In her first year as a missionary to a small group of native women in the Ecuadorian jungle, Elisabeth Elliot faced physical and spiritual trials. In These Strange Ashes, Elliot captures the mysteries and stark realities surrounding the colorful and primitive world in which she ministered. More than just a recounting of her early days, this is a beautifully crafted and deeply personal reflection on the important questions of life and a remarkable testimony to an authentic Christian commitment.
  
The first few chapters were a bit of a drag. I somehow had difficulty in bringing myself to read the next few pages. Still, (never leave the book unfinished or never attempt to read a book if you have no intentions of reading through) I kept on. I’m glad I did! The next chapters redeemed itself.

What they experienced is what I had always been seeing in my mind whenever I think of missionaries. Their experience is what I’ve been dreaming of. Not the inconveniences of their daily life, but the opportunity and the people that they are ministering with. The daily toils and struggles, not only to survive, but to tell these quite adamant people about God, is the greatest challenge of a lifetime for any person who is willing to go to “the ends of the earth” to spread the Good News  of salvation.

What I like about this book,is how the author captured and put into words their lives and daily encounters with the natives. The vivid descriptions of even the small things around them would make you feel that you are there with them. The book is so simple and anyone who is seeking God's will can relate to the author.

I have copied some parts that impart wisdom and encouragement to me. Some of them are:

Faith's most severe test comes not when we see nothing, but when we see a stunning array of evidence that seems to prove our faith vain.
I hope that many more will be like them. I hope that I could have their strength and determination to continue my ministry to those who are perishing without even hearing the name of Jesus. I do pray for all my fellow missionaries to be strengthened and encouraged to move forward,  be firm until the harvest is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...